[v6 General Discussion] What's wrong with Quadro cards?

The recommended system requirements explicitly says to use Nvidia GTX cards rather than Nvidia Quadro cards.
Why is this?

Not the business desktop NVS cards. The proper workstation cards.

For example a Dell or HP workstation would probably have a Quadro K6000 or a newer one would have a Quadro M6000. A Quadro M6000 has a Maxwell GM200 GPU, 3072 CUDA Cores, 192 Texture Units, 96 ROPs, and so on. It's no slouch.

Actually, a Quadro M6000 is basically a workstation version of the GeForce GTX Titan X. Okay it's got the Quadro-specific graphics drivers (for Solidworks/AutoCAD/Maya etc) and ECC memory. But otherwise it's just the workstation version of the consumer card. And depending on whether you're purchasing the desktop or the workstation PC, the computer manufacturer will probably insist on which you get.

So if they're basically the same card, why does EasyWorship only support one and not the other?

Hi,

Thanks for asking about AMD products.

The short answer is that our developers prefer Intel processors and NVIDIA video cards. That is what they develop the software on. We have found over the years that AMD video cards do not process video commands the same as NVIDIA cards, so this can result in slower behavior.
Recently we have found that AMD installs a program called PlaysTV with their driver. That program injects into EasyWorship and causes it to crash.

Normally you are ok with an AMD CPU as long as it's fast enough to handle the work. From my experience AMD processors have to run at higher clock cycles to match a similarly specced Intel processor running at a much lower clock speed. A 2.5 GHZ Intel Dual Core processor may outpace a 2.5 GHZ quad core AMD processor. They don't function the same, so you need to be aware of that.

You can get by with an AMD system, but it's not recommended. I use an AMD A8 2.0 Ghz Laptop with R5 Graphics at home. It's fairly sluggish with EW even with 16 GB ram and an SSD drive, but I only paid about $300 USD for it, so you get what you pay for and I only use it to build the service.
If I may tag on to this threat could you explain why AMD processors and Video cards are not supported? They would be a little more budget oriented.
If you already have it, try it and see how it behaves. I imagine if you have one of the more powerful Quadro cards, it will probably be ok.
Thanks.

Yes, I wasn't planning on purchasing a Quadro card specifically for EasyWorship.
It was more if you already had one because the computer was also used for Video Production (or you hadn't been able to choose the spec) should you bin your expensive powerful card just to get a GTX.
Hi,
Thanks for asking about the Quadro cards. In the past we've had issues with Quadro cards, however it has been a long time.
EasyWorship probably will run fine on a Quadro card, but not as well as on a GTX card.
Quadro cards are really designed for specific markets of video editing and CAD. They excel at that. They are not designed for video game processing. Normally a GTX card is going to outperform when it comes to gaming, because it was designed to process that type of content. EasyWorship as you may know uses DirectX for rendering video, text and other content. GTX cards are designed for this purpose. Cost is also a factor. A Quadro that meets the performance of a GTX card is going to cost you a lot more. For example the M6000 on Amazon is going to cost about $3600 where the GTX 1080 will cost $699. The 1080 will provide much better results for EasyWorship. The GTX 1080 is really overkill. You would do fine with the GTX 1050 $149 or 1060 $259.
If you purchase a computer for the purpose of running EasyWorship, the Quadro card just isn't the best fit for the software. It's not designed for it and to get a Quadro that meets the same specs as the GTX card, you'll be paying a lot more. Most computers we see with Quadro cards have the low end more affordable Quadro cards that equate to something like a GeForce GT 910 and the price paid for it is outrageously high compared to the $40 you would pay for the GT 910. Neither of which would be able to run EasyWorship very well.
I hope this helps you understand why we don't recommend them.