[v7 General Discussion] Some videos not displaying

Hi all,

I have an issue on one of our computers where the video is not displaying properly. I've attached a few screen shots showing the issue. In all videos I've tried, I get the white screen only when I try to play them under Preview. I can hear the sound but not see them. When I push them live, some play fine while others just show a white screen. In fact, whatever I have in the Preview section shows up as a white square - songs, scriptures etc.

We're running Windows 7. What other information do you need that might help diagnose the problem (and where on the computer can I find it?)

Jason

Just to add on - in doing some more playing around I've found some picture files that won't display.

In the "database" section at the bottom of EW, all the pictures and videos thumbnails display fine, just when they go to preview and/or live is the issue.
For the video, click on help, Codec troubleshooting while playing the video and post the results.

For the image issue, go to the profiles menu, then profiles manager, click the link next to the instance location.

Open Resources, then images.

If there are any items in there that aren't images. .BMP, .JPG, .PNG, remove them.

Any shortcuts, double click on them and make sure they work.

Check folders to make sure they have valid files in them too.

Do the same for videos.
Video codec:

FILE - 11/01/2019 7:48:44 AM

Source - Announcements 2018-12-30.wmv (Merit)

WMVideo Decoder DMO

WMAudio Decoder DMO

Video Mixing Renderer 9

Default DirectSound Device

I'll check the rest later

Jason
Try updating to 7.1.3.0 and see if it works better.

Here is a link to the release announcement.

&
Installed the update and no change.

Did notice that I missed some detail off the codec troubleshooting: DirectX Shrink Filter - Enabled

Images resources all look fine.

It's strange that even with songs in the preview section that the lower part is white as well.

Jason
What video card do you have in this machine?
Intel GMA 3000

Memory 256 MG

Display Mode 1280 x 1024 (32bit) (60Hrz)

Hope that is what you are after!

Jason
What are the rest of the specs (cpu, system ram, operating system, laptop or desktop, etc)? From what I remember GMA 3000 is the old Core 2 Duo line of computers from 2006 and were woefully underpowered. While they could handle EW 2009 and earlier, they can't handle playing videos or larger graphics in EW 6 or 7 very well if at all.

What resolution and bitrate are the video files you are having problems with?

And you do realize that Intel Graphics, especially that old are not officially supported don't you?
RVadon you are correct, here is a link to the data on that video processor.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gma-3000.c3154

You can try to get them working by going to options, advanced and checking the box to "Disable GPU Shrink Filter". This is really designed for diagnostic purposes to see if the video card isn't able to accommodate the directX functionality we are asking it to perform.
Thx Roger. We have been using an old C2D laptop with the GMA 3000 graphics in our children's church but have had to stay with EW 2009 because of it. I know exactly what he's dealing with and going thru.

I have finally been authorized to replace that laptop so we can get all of our computers on EW7. Just shopping for a good enough deal. I'm sure you know how budgets at smaller churches are.
Yes, I know exactly how that is. I'm the Associate Pastor in my church and grew up in a church that ran 30 or less. Every penny counts when you're dealing with God's money. We use it till it can't be use anymore, then figure out a way to get another year or so out of it.
Yep. Fortunately my area of expertise is computer hardware so I'm able to do the repairs, maintenance, and upgrades myself which saves a lot. Plus I'm retired now and only live a few blocks from the church so I have a lot of time to spare.

I've found that a refurbished Thinkpad T430 or T530 (or newer) with a third gen i5 or higher processor can handle EW 7 quite well, even with integrated HD 3000 Intel Graphics (not to be confused with the older GMA 3000 from the C2D era). You do need to stay with 1080P or lower resolution and expectations on performance, but for $150 to $200 they get the job done. Plus they are build like tanks and a lot easier to work on than a lot of other laptops.

You can try to get them working by going to options, advanced and checking the box to "Disable GPU Shrink Filter". This is really designed for diagnostic purposes to see if the video card isn't able to accommodate the directX functionality we are asking it to perform.

That did the trick! Will that have any negative affect on how EW runs?

Jason
The will be a degradation inf quality of previews and thumbnails. Not sure what else. The software should work fine, but not as beautifully as it was designed to. :)