ATEM Television Studio Setup
Modified on: Tue, 26 Jul, 2016 at 3:32 PM
Here are the basics of using EasyWorship 6 with the Blackmagicdesign ATEM Television Studio mixer. This is not an all-encompassing guide.
You will have to learn how to use the ATEM device in order to accomplish some of these tasks. Please consult documentation for the ATEM studio as needed.
- The ATEM Television Studio software is required to setup the ATEM.
- You will also need to understand how to change display settings in Windows and how to setup a theme in EasyWorship.
- You can find instructions for creating themes here.
If you want to use Alpha Channel masking, you’ll need to connect two video outputs from the computer into the ATEM mixer.
We have a list of recommended video cards on the System Requirements page.
Please note that if you are using cameras, you’ll want to match the resolution of the cameras because the ATEM can only accept the same video resolution on all inputs. You cannot mix video resolutions on the ATEM mixer.
This is the equipment you'll need in order to use the ATEM TV Studio with EasyWorship.
- The ATEM Studio mixer.
- A video card that supports at least three extended desktops simultaneously.
- First output connects to the control screen.
- Second output connects to the ATEM Studio for Text and foreground content.
- Third output connects to the ATEM Studio for Alpha channel.
- We have a list of recommended video cards on the System Requirements page.
- Video cables to connect the computer to the ATEM and to connect the ATEM to your projector or TV.
- Video converter boxes for converting HDMI or DVI signal to SDI. (This may or may not be required depending on your set up.)
Setup Video Connections
- Make two video connections from the computer video card to the ATEM using two HDMI or SDI cables.
- In Windows display settings you will see three screens. The Control screen, Live output screen and Alpha channel screen. They will be labeled 1, 2 and 3.
- Extend the Windows desktop to each screen.
- Set the screen resolution for the Live output and Alpha channel output to the same resolution.
On the EasyWorship menu bar select EDIT > OPTIONS.
In Live Options set the output monitor to the appropriate output.
Set the Alpha Channel the to the appropriate output.
- Click OK.
Setup a Theme In EasyWorship
- In EasyWorship create a theme with a black background and move the text box to the location want the text to appear on the screen. For example the lower third of the screen.
- Right-click on the theme you created and set as Song Theme.
- You will need to do this for Scripture and Presentations.
- The black background allows you to key out the black background and replace it with your camera feed.
- If you are using a chroma key, you can still use black and key out black.
- You’ll use the ATEM app on a computer to connect to the ATEM switcher and label your inputs and setup the key. One should be labeled EasyWorship and one Alpha or EW Alpha.
- You’ll need to setup an Upstream Luma key if you are using Alpha Channel. If you are not using Alpha Channel you may want to setup an Upstream Chroma Key.
- Select the Luma tab.
- Change the Fill Source to EasyWorship or the input that is receiving the Live Output from EasyWorship.
- Change the Key Source to Alpha or the input that is receiving Alpha Channel from EasyWorship.
- Select the option for Pre Multi.
- See the image below for an example of the settings for the ATEM with EasyWorship.