[v6 General Discussion] Song Text Box Sizing

I've looked through the forum and can't find anything on this.

The 2009 version of EW had "Background Designer" in which I could go in and change the size of the text box a particular background. It would set the size permanently for that background so that no matter what song was being used the text box was the same size. We have an artistic edging around our screens and I need to pull the text box in on the sides for all of our backgrounds but I can't find a "Background Designer" or any feature that will do it for the background(s) universally.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Hi. Try this ...

Go to the Themes tab and right-click in the big white area, and then choose "New song theme". Click on the text (it says "song text line one, song text line two" etc) and this gives you a text box which can be resized and repositioned anywhere on the slide. Once you're happy with the positioning click on the "Inspector button" (blue, top right, letter "I" on it) and set up any Font styles and sizes, background image - you could set up your decorative border here as an image - that you need incorporated with the Theme, name the Theme and click OK. This Theme will save automatically and be available to you permanently.

This new Theme can then be dropped on top of any song(s) in the Schedule to apply it and the border, and fonts and everything else, should be as you have defined. And by right-clicking on this theme, it can be "Set as Song Theme" - though that doesn't seem to do anything useful that I can see - I find I still have to drop the theme onto each song in a Schedule - so the point of that particular option has so far escaped me.
Hi Sdoman,

Thanks for your reply.
This is very good information.

Regarding your comment about Set as Song theme:
And by right-clicking on this theme, it can be "Set as Song Theme" - though that doesn't seem to do anything useful that I can see - I find I still have to drop the theme onto each song in a Schedule - so the point of that particular option has so far escaped me.

Set as Song Theme sets the default theme for any song that is using the default theme and hasn't already been added to the schedule. If the song is already in the schedule, you'll have to drag and drop it on the songs that already exist in the schedule. If you add a new song to the schedule, it will take on the new theme you set as default, provided that you have not edited that song and set a specific background on it already.