PowerPoint displays black on NDI stream

I have two computers, one is a Surface Pro 4 (let's call this "A"), the other a Surface Laptop 2 ("B")

I have set up B in the same way as A as far as possible and the only remaining issue is one with PowerPoint over NDI. I have reviewed all the other cases I can find and none of them gives a satisfactory fix as far as I can tell.

BOTH machines have:

• Easy Worship 7.2.3.0
  • OBS 26.1.1
  • PowerPoint 2016
  • Windows 10 (A has Enterprise, B has Home)

I run Easy Worship on both laptops, both using NDI - PAL 1920 x 1080 25Hz for output, playing the same PowerPoint slide presentation and the same song..

Both machines are on the same LAN, so I can see both NDI streams on both machines.

Here's what happens:

• OBS on A with NDI from A => PowerPoint and Song are fine
  • OBS on B with NDI from B => Song is fine, PowerPoint black
  • OBS on A with NDI from B => Song is fine, PowerPoint black
  • OBS on B with NDI from A => PowerPoint and Song are fine

In short, on both machines, all is well when NDI comes from the Surface Pro but PowerPoint is black when NDI comes from the Surface Laptop.

I could could really do with some help to fix this. I am moving off the Surface Pro because its screen is defective and difficult to work with. It is not an option to keep the Surface Pro.

Thank you

3 people have this question

The only thing I can think of would to make sure that you have the most current NDI tools installed from this link https://ndi.tv/tools/#download-tools

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with powerpoint over NDI. The strange thing is, it happend simultaneously on two computers in the last week. It had work flawlessly the weeks before. All of my software is up to date.

Thank you

We are having same problem here this week on our church livestream.  We are new to the live stream system running EW7 to vMix.  The first few weeks things worked fine where both the songs and powerpoint output worked like a charm.  Now, the songs display on output but the Powerpoint is just a black screen.  Can't seem to figure it out in reading troublshooting from EW and vMix.  Figure it has something to do with the computer running the live stream or the vMix since the in-house production computer isn't having any issues with it's EW7 outputs.

Our new laptop runs with Intel UHD graphics.  Which it appears from the EW troubleshooting guides is unsupported.  If it were the graphics card giving us the trouble, I'm thinking it wouldn't have displayed properly the first few weeks.

Odd to run across you guys having a similar problem at the same time so making me think it's a glitch in EW.  Would love to hear if you figure anything out as I'm at my wits end here trying to sort it out.

We have seen this issue and it seems to be happening only on laptops and possibly ones that have switchable graphics. I don't use PPT anymore, but I tested it on my laptop for my church and get the same issue. I'm not sure if it's a bug with EW or if it's something with the way PPT sends through NDI with those graphic cards or something with vMix. We will try to do more testing and make sure the developers know of the situation to see if they can find anything.

It would be true to say that I am using "switchable graphics" I think. I use a Surface Laptop with two additional screens. These are the settings from Windows 10

Surface Laptop Screen

I hope this helps

Switchable graphics refers to using the stock integrated Intel graphics for most uses and dedicated Nvidia or AMD graphics when the graphics load is higher, such as gaming. Surface laptops do not have that and do not meet the minimum hardware specs for running EW.

We have had the same problem that started about three weeks ago and it has not resolved itself.  Would really like to figure out a fix for it.  We use a streaming pc, not a laptop.  Any new info on how to fix this issue?

Thank you.

What changes did you make just before you started noticing the issue? If it was a driver update, roll back to the previous driver. If it was a Windows or Office update, uninstall the updates. If you updated EW roll back to your previous release build. See if those fixes it.

Here is some more on this matter. Some months ago our church PC had a serious issue and I swapped to my own laptop for the day. EW was outputting  to vMix via NDI. All went fine until the pastors PP when we got nothing. Hmm! what went wrong. My Av assistant restarted everything and tried again. No PP over NDI. He finally opened the PP directly in PP and ran the vMix Desktop capture utility and the PP came through fine. This issue could actually be within the NDI part of EW.

BUT! He also did a bit of Googling and found that SOME video cards do not like NDI. The nVidea graphics in my laptop was one of them. BUT!  I have used that same laptop running PowerPoint (Not EW) and the vMix Desktop capture utility many times without issue, to send the PP output via NDI to vMix.

Hmmmm! Just what is the cause!?

PPT works great through NDI in EW on my desktop computer using an Nvidia GTX 960. However, on my laptop with switchable graphics (Intel and Nvidia GTX 860), I cannot get PPT to display when sending NDI in EW. I have tried many troubleshooting steps and have not figured out a way to get it to work on my laptop yet. We have submitted it as a bug to the developers.

Hi, I had the same problem. At least for me it happend on a more than capable Pc and not a Laptop.  A fresh install of windows fixed it for me.

I have the same problem but it happens with one windows account on the same laptop. For example, i started on this alptop with my own microsoft account to set it up. Powerpoint through NDI works fine. I then created a second user (also with administrator rights) and then Powerpoints --> NDI are complete black. When i switch back to my own account --> it works fine.

So one the same laptop, same hard- & software. Only difference is logged in user... How can i fix this?

I am really quite pissed this sunday morning from nowwhere Powerpoint over NDI suddenly stopped working on our church laptop. This was really hard to solve. Nothing has changed since last week, no fresh install no new software nothing.

I would really like to ask for more attention to this problem. It is just not reliable now... We now save all our powerpoints to JPG's but this shouldn't be the solution.

I have a very strong laptop with only one GPU: Nvidia3060RTS, no onboard GPU (we have AMD Ryzen7 5800H cpu). Movies work great over NDI, no problem.

Please Easyworship staff, help us to have reliable Powerpoint over NDI.

Laptop Lenovo Legion 5 17ACH6H 82JY
AMD Ryzen7 5800H
Nvidia 3060RTX
16GB RAM
SSD 512 GB & Win10
NDI from EW7 --> (a) OBS and (b) NDI Studio monitor for the beamer
MS Office 2019

Powerpoint Troubleshooting log from EW7:

INSTALLED VERSION INFORMATION

** ComObject32 Info **
FOUND          - HKCR\CLSID\{91493441-5A91-11CF-8700-00AA0060263B}\ProgID
FOUND          - HKCR\CLSID\{91493441-5A91-11CF-8700-00AA0060263B}\ProgID\Default
FOUND          - HKCR\CLSID\{91493441-5A91-11CF-8700-00AA0060263B}\LocalServer32
FOUND          - HKCR\CLSID\{91493441-5A91-11CF-8700-00AA0060263B}\LocalServer32\Default
> Full Version Added (16,00, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\POWERPNT.EXE, 32)

** ComObject64 Info **
FOUND          - HKCR\CLSID\{91493441-5A91-11CF-8700-00AA0060263B}\ProgID
FOUND          - HKCR\CLSID\{91493441-5A91-11CF-8700-00AA0060263B}\ProgID\Default
FOUND          - HKCR\CLSID\{91493441-5A91-11CF-8700-00AA0060263B}\LocalServer32
FOUND          - HKCR\CLSID\{91493441-5A91-11CF-8700-00AA0060263B}\LocalServer32\Default
> Full Version Added (16,00, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\POWERPNT.EXE, 64)

** Registry32 Info **
FOUND          - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\
NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\ClickToRunStore\Applications
NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\InstallRoot
NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\PowerPoint\InstallRoot

** Registry64 Info **
FOUND          - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\
NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\ClickToRunStore\Applications
NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\InstallRoot
NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\PowerPoint\InstallRoot
FOUND          - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\ClickToRunStore\Applications
FOUND          - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\ClickToRunStore\Applications\PowerPoint
! Full Version Skipped (16,00, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\POWERPNT.EXE, 64) - Already added.
FOUND          - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\InstallRoot
NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\InstallRoot\PowerPoint
NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\InstallRoot\Path
FOUND          - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\PowerPoint\InstallRoot
NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\PowerPoint\InstallRoot\PowerPoint
FOUND          - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\PowerPoint\InstallRoot\Path
! Full Version Skipped (16,00, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\POWERPNT.EXE, 64) - Already added.
! Viewer Skipped (16,00, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\PPTVIEW.EXE, 64) - File missing.

Login to post a comment