[v6 General Discussion] Import Song

One of the features I was really hoping to see was the ability to Import a Song. The ability is mentioned in the Help files where we are directed to "folders" where you have the option to Open, not Import, an rtf file. The file format drop down lists other file formats including Words various versions. Problem is, it doesn't work, seemingly at all. I have tried several different files and every time I select one I get an "Arguement out of range" error. This isn't a deal breaker but currently I am the only one in the church who manages EW. My objective is to have a small team, I have volunteers which is very encouraging but they are not techies. What I have been doing is maintaining a database at home then copying it to a thumb drive and overwriting the data on the church computer. Shared folders are not an option as the church has no internet and not everyone is prepared to connection share from a smart phone.
I know this is not what is described exactly but the ability to export a song from someones home and then import it into the church EW database would solve this for me. Even if it was possible for someone to bring in the song as a Word doc, most people have access to various vintages of Word, and then import the song would help, and this is implied in the Help.
Is anyone else having this problem, is this a feature in progress?

I've been importing docx and rtf files using the import option in the song editor.
You may need to send an email to support@easyworship.com with a sample of the files you are importing to see if there is something in the files that EasyWorship cannot read.
Right, discovered something, I had been changing the drop down list to "All Files" and am still getting the Argument Out Of Range error, however if i select "Word 2010", selecting the same file, untouched, it does import.
Please provide the version of office you have and if it is 64 bit or 32 bit office.
Please send us one of your files to support@easyworship.com and we'll do some testing.
Please provide the version of office you have and if it is 64 bit or 32 bit office.
Please send us one of your files to support@easyworship.com and we'll do some testing.

I have Office 2010 32bit running on Vista 64 bit, this gives the full drop list where if I select Word 2010 the import works but if I select All files it doesn't. I also have Office 365 64 bit running on Windows 7 64bit, this gives a drop list with rtf, txt or all files. It does not allow picking Word only......and the import does not work. The Vista workaround does not work.
In EW6 Build 1.3 import has three choices: RTF, TXT and All. I created an RTF file in Word 2013 (Office 365) and WordPad (Windows 7). Both imported OK. I then created a TXT file in Notepad++. It also imported OK.

Avoid Using Shift-Enter and Ctrl-Enter in external editors (Word, Notepad, etc.) Use blank lines as slide separators (First line becomes slide label.) Two blank lines will create a slide without a label. In following example <e> is Enter key:

Verse 1 <e>
Song Lyrics <e>
Song Lyrics <e>
Song Lyrics <e>
<e>
Chorus 1 <e>
Song Lyrics <e>
Song Lyrics <e>
<e>
<e>
Last Slide No label <e>
Wonder if it would give you grief when you set it to a theme after the import?
does it work copyright information?
In EW6 Build 1.3 import has three choices: RTF, TXT and All. I created an RTF file in Word 2013 (Office 365) and WordPad (Windows 7). Both imported OK. I then created a TXT file in Notepad++. It also imported OK.

Avoid Using Shift-Enter and Ctrl-Enter in external editors (Word, Notepad, etc.) Use blank lines as slide separators (First line becomes slide label.) Two blank lines will create a slide without a label. In following example <e> is Enter key:

Verse 1 <e>
Song Lyrics <e>
Song Lyrics <e>
Song Lyrics <e>
<e>
Chorus 1 <e>
Song Lyrics <e>
Song Lyrics <e>
<e>
<e>
Last Slide No label <e>

I am using build 1.3 on both computers and the drop down gives me the different options. When I select Word 2010 (Vista 64, Office 2010) and it does then successfully import the formatting is usable as I do seperate verses etc with blank lines. Pretty pleased about that
Wonder if it would give you grief when you set it to a theme after the import?
does it work copyright information?

To be honest I haven't really used themes, my church wants everything "plain", if I gave in completely it would be black text on a white background. I have been using the same picture background and font ever since I started using EW2009. The hymns I'm importing are ones I've OCR'd from hymn books or cut and pasted from web, always into Word where I try and keep a consistent layout. I'm not sure how I would include copyright information, we do have a CCLI license and are starting to use SongSelect.
Now on version 1.4 and things seem to be getting better Looking forward to 1.5, hopefully in a day or two, to fix the lost first words issue. Would still love to see the Labels as a seperate "thing", making it impossible to confuse first lines with labels as it is still easy to delete a first line then have the second line become the label. I don't always label a slide, usually if I am splitting a verse across two slides I label the first "verse1" then don't label the second slide. This seems to sometimes cause problems. Was showing the new version to someone this morning and we both got confused over this. Still, bugs etc do seem to be getting ironed out.
(...) This isn't a deal breaker but currently I am the only one in the church who manages EW. My objective is to have a small team, I have volunteers which is very encouraging but they are not techies. What I have been doing is maintaining a database at home then copying it to a thumb drive and overwriting the data on the church computer.
(...)
I know this is not what is described exactly but the ability to export a song from someones home and then import it into the church EW database would solve this for me. (...)

Hi,

Is there any way to export/import/merge Song databases?

As @PjMontgomery, I have a team in the sound/Multimedia department, and we are starting to try to use EW6, and for now we have almost 700 songs to create from scratch and one person only taking care of it .. will take forever, a team will speed things up...

If you have (even if it's a workaround..) an extra program that can manage the Songs DB ... and be able to export/import/merge DB's ... would be great.

Please look into this matter.

Best regards,

Amândio.
Right now we do not have a database merge utility.

Verse 1 <e>
Song Lyrics <e>
Song Lyrics <e>
Song Lyrics <e>
<e>
Chorus 1 <e>
Song Lyrics <e>
Song Lyrics <e>
<e>
<e>
Last Slide No label <e>

Hello,

I have created a file in NOTEPAD++ .. with those same rules... and it seems that import of that file isn't working as it should be ... (using EW6.1.5)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jw3wdzfyboln ... B.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/725f7iwfv4koe ... 5.png?dl=0

How should the format file be to be able to import it directly?

here is the file zipped: https://www.dropbox.com/s/alzuw1uml0qfq ... 9.zip?dl=0

Best regards,

Amândio
Build 1.6, new problem with song import. Have just installed new build, was delighted to see that Do Not Resize is now default. However, have just imported 2 new Hymns for this mornings service, Word docx, and the text will not show. It can be highlighted in the right pane of editor but will not show. It does show in left pane. I have tried changing font, size, colour, bold etc but the text will not show. I dare not update our church system this morning and have to hope that when I merge the database the text will show on build 1.5. I have been importing this way successfully before now.
Further problem, the imported/overwritten database, data created on build 1.6, moved to build 1.5 has the same problem. I have had to recreate this mornings work. Words not appearing on slides, a spelling error is highlighted but the actual word is not visible and trying to edit the song with build 1.5 has no effect. Until this is fixed I cannot use this build.